Friday, April 13, 2012

Alot of Talk on Contraception

         I have noticed a few blogs on the contraception issue and all of its moral and economic implications.  When I first heard of the contraception mandate my knee-jerk reaction was, "no way do I want to pay for other people to have relations!!"  My thinking was that people should all be responsible and abstain from sexual relations if they couldnt bear the consequences of it.  I was definitely on the anti-contraception side.  But I realize this is an ideal theoryin a real world.  It will never happen.  Because I have written a paper on this issue and hear about it on the radio almost every day I have taken a second look.  On the blog site, Where are Your Feet?, the author makes a compelling argument for the pro-contraceptive side.  The author cites the positive side effects of birth control for women, and the social and economic woes it can help to curtail including unwanted and uninsured pregnancies, and likely dependence on welfare.  The author also tells of who is likely to pick up tthe bill for unprotected sex; the middle class.  I am most likely going to be a member of the middle class my whole life so this really got my attention.  I don't want to pay for birth control for other people.  But I REALLY dont want to pay for other peoples' welfare babies.

      Now that I have looked at both sides of the contraception debate it comes down to the numbers.  I am a taxpayer and I favor the side that will cost me less in taxes.  If handing out a bunch of pills to prevent pregnancy is cheaper than paying for all the uninsured pregnancies and hospital bills, then so be it.

1 comment: